Friday, May 28, 2010

Run run as fast as you can

This past month our family has done a couple of 5k races together. Nick, Kyler, and I participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for Cure in Salt Lake City on May 8th. It was quite something to be apart of something so big and for the cause of finding a cure for breast cancer. It is set up as a low stress, no timed race. We made the deal that we would all run together, poor Nick didn't even break a sweat, afterword he said that was a good warm up. It was crazy to look ahead and see all the people running, but even more inspiring to look behind and see the streets covered with even more people for blocks and blocks. We did okay finishing the race at about 35 min.

Here we are at home after the race.


On May 15th we did the USU Aggie 5k Spring Run Off. This was just down the street from us at the Utah Botanical House. It again was a fun family race. This race was timed so I told Nick that he could run what he wanted. He had Nathaniel and Logan in a double jogging stroller, I pushed McKayla in a single jogging stroller, and Kyler ran. (Thanks to our friends for letting us borrow your strollers!) Nick and the boys took off fast out of the start, I did all I could to catch up but couldn't do it. When I saw Kyler sitting on the curb taking a rest, I thought I could finally catch them but Nick told Kyler I was coming and off they took again. Kyler thought it was cool to beat mom to the finish, it sure kept him running. Nick finished first and was able to get pictures of Kyler and I coming to the finish. The best part was the free Aggie Ice Cream after the race, not the first choice to eat after running a 5k but it was delicious! They ran out of ice cream before everyone finished, good thing we finished in time.

Here is our family with Big Blue before the race, the kids didn't know what to think of him.


Kyler finishing with a time of 31:31


This is my attractive finish with a time of 33:03


See if you can find us in some these pictures:
http://www.usu.edu/alumni/events/img/Aggie%20Spring%20Run-Off%202010/index.html
Nick and I are in the back of the big group shot, and Kyler and Nathaniel are in the front near Big Blue.

3 comments:

Darin and Joanna said...

Nice work! What a fun family activity!

lucasclan said...

That is so awesome that you were able to run the 5ks. I don't think I could do it. Way to go!!!!

Loughmiller's said...

Great job! It looks like a lot of fun!